About Metro Asphalt
What memberships and affiliations do you have?
Metro Asphalt is a proud member of the Better Business Bureau.
Are estimates for my project free?
Yes. To ensure that your project needs are fully understood, we hope you allow us the opportunity to speak to you and provide a detailed written estimate at no charge.
What type of guarantee do you give on your work?
We supply a 1 year written guarantee.
How thick should the asphalt be?
We recommend 3” of HL3 Hot Mix Asphalt compacted to 2” using a vibrating roller.
How long can I expect my driveway to last?
A good average is 15 – 20 years.
What is your square foot price?
Pricing varies based on the nature of the work to be done. Many factors contribute toward the square foot price which must be assessed in person, such as access space, condition of your base, size and location of the job, the nature of the materials to be excavated and installed, etc. Call to arrange a free estimate at 416-674-8786.
After my driveway has been paved, what should I do?
Since asphalt is a petroleum–based fluid in a semi-solid state, it is affected by heat and cold, movement beneath the foundation and any weight placed on it. We recommend the following:
- Do not park your car on the driveway for at least 3 – 5 days, a little longer in extreme heat waves.
- Hose down the newly paved driveway if the weather is extremely hot to help cool it down.
- To avoid marking the surface, be careful not to turn the car wheels while the car is stationary on the driveway while the pavement is new or during extremely hot weather.
- Place a piece of plywood under any sharp protrusions such as ladders, lawn chairs, bicycle kickstands etc., to protect your asphalt from damages.
Should I seal my driveway or parking lot?
This choice is up to you, but we do not recommend sealing during the first year. If you choose to seal, be sure to use an oil/asphalt-based sealer to avoid cracking from occurring. We recommend having a professional seal your driveway to ensure that the proper products are used. Be cautious that once you commit to sealing you must constantly maintain it (reapply approximately every two years) because the material tends to fade and look uneven.
The following are benefits of sealing:
- Sun Protection – Prevent oxidation of the asphalt surface by forming a protective skin.
- Aesthetics – Provides a jet black finish giving your driveway a fresh, new appearance.
- Resist Gas and Oil – Premium sealers help to protect asphalt from the deteriorating effects of gasoline, oil, de-icers and other harsh chemicals.
- Cracks – Since asphalt is a flexible pavement, cracks are a natural part of the aging process. When left unfilled, cracks will allow water penetration into the sub-base causing ruts and/or potholes to appear.
How do paving stones compare with other paving or decking materials?
Over the lifetime of your installation paving stones are more aesthetically pleasing, durable and cost effective.
How do I know what colours are available?
You can view interlocking stone colours by sampling boards and various stone combinations.
Will my interlocking stones last longer if I seal them?
Sealer does 3 things. First it helps resist stain penetration. Second, it enhances the color. And third, it binds the sand particles in between the joints making it difficult for weed seeds to germinate.
How soon after installation can I use my driveway or patio?
Immediately. Just be sure that you have completed all the aspects of installation (i.e. compaction and the sweeping in of the jointing sand).